Hilton Head Island's History
Hilton Head Island is named after the English explorer Captain William F. Hilton, who in 1663 surveyed our island while sailing from the Caribbean island of Barbados. Captain Hilton was so impressed with the beauty of our island that he named it after himself and we became known as "Hilton Head Island."
In the 1950's developer Charles Fraser was so inspired by the natural beauty of our island that he developed the Sea Pines Resort, our island's first resort community. Today the strict guidelines employed by Charles Fraser in respect to our island's natural environment have been both admired and nationally recognized.
Today Hilton Head Island is best known for its 12 miles of beautiful beaches. Our island is the 2nd largest barrier island on the East Coast and is home to a variety of wildlife. On any given day your family may encounter a bottlenose dolphin, a snowy egret, a blue heron, white tailed deer, an occasional manatee or a lazy alligator basking in the sun.
For more information on the history of Hilton Head click on: www.hhisland.com